Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Start of the Semester

I'm going to rewind a little and talk about this past weekend... On Saturday there were 5 of us planning on going on the school run to the local grocery store, Tesco. The bus was supposed to leave at 11am and when it wasn't there at 11:30am we went to find out what was going on only to be told that it wouldn't be there till 12:30pm. We re-grouped an hour and a half later and went off the Tesco Extra (kind of like a really nice Walmart).  What made the trip extra fun for us was the fact that you enter, grab a cart and the push the cart onto a travelator (sort of like an inclined people mover at the airport) and the carts wheels magnetize to the belt so you can let go and your cart doesn't roll away. We were all very amused by this!! Saturday night a group of the international students went to the Odyssey Arena to watch a Belfast Giants hockey game. It was a lot of fun, but let's just say it really made me miss the NHL. Last week I met a guy who's from Squirrel Hill and of course loves all the Pittsburgh sports teams so we had a great time talking about the Penguins and noticing all the crazy differences. I mean c'mon this team has their group of own old school cheerleaders (who are very entertaining to watch hahaha). Overall we had a lot of fun, and may try to catch another game before their season is over.... Sunday I went to a church that was recommended to me and enjoyed it, went out to lunch, and hung out the rest of the day.

Monday was the 1st day of classes for Queen's. I dropped the 2 classes I needed to in order to have Fridays off to travel with my study abroad program, and attended my 1st class at 4pm. The class was nothing what I thought it would be like and not at all what it said in the description online. It's called The Anthropology of Modern Social Dance, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, but right now I'm still enrolled in the class... Tuesday I had a class at 1pm called Twentieth Century British Theatre, not exactly my chosen interest, but I guess we'll see how it goes. After that I went to my Shakespeare In Performance class. It was full of 3rd year students (our equivalent to seniors) the professor walked in and said, "this is your last semester here and this class is very tough and demands a lot from you because this is your last chance to show us what you can do before you're on your own!" Whelp I definitely don't fit in that class,  so I dropped it and I'm currently looking for a new class to fill that spot. Some options I've found are: Film & Sound, Creative Writing (Drama), Practical Photography, and The Beatles ( not sure what I'll take because some of those are also 3rd year/advanced classes).

I am very happy to say that I have found the closest Starbucks to campus, about a 5min walk. I was surprised and excited that my Gold Card works here, so I can still get my discounts on certain drinks... I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time there :).... I enjoyed almost a full day of sunshine yesterday for the first time since leaving Pittsburgh over a week ago. However I guess 1 day is all I get, because today it was super windy and raining. I was forced to buy an umbrella before leaving the student union this afternoon and it proceeded to almost break 5 times on me before reaching my dorm.

Cheers!!

My cart on the travelator.

 A video of the amusing cheerleaders doing the "routine" they do after a goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment