Friday, February 4, 2011

Fun Stuff!!

Not too much has happened since my last post, except for the fact that I still don't have a 3rd class to take, oh and my birthday!!! haha Went out to dinner and movie with a couple friends, thanks for all the lovely wishes from back home :)

Differences:
* Well the obvious driving on the opposite side of the road (I've almost been hit multiple times!!)
* Although they speak English, the accents are so strong and slang words are used in every sentence that I usually feel like an idiot asking people to repeat what they said more than once so I can understand
*Stay at school and go out every weeknight staying up till like 3am (loud!), then everyone goes home on the weekends to work and have mommy cook them meals and do their laundry... nice haha
* You can't split checks, and they don't have to-go boxes. (some restaurants will, but they give you an annoyed look when you ask)
* Classes work as 1 Lecture a week plus sometimes 1 additional seminar/tutorial everything else is all outside, independent readings/research that you think pertains to the specific subject.... scary!!!
* Being a Professor is actually a higher rank than a Doctor, most "tutors" are Doctors here.
* What's a curb??? Here curbs are pretty much another part of the road; they drive and park on them!
* Mercedes Benz, BMW, Range Rover, Porsche... all pretty much common cars.
more too come.....
New Vocabulary:
Trainers---------------> Tennis Shoes
Jumper----------------> Sweater
Wee--------------------> Little
Heya-------------------> Hello
Cheers-----------------> Thanks!
Bog--------------------> Bathroom
Snog-------------------> Kiss
Bake-------------------> Mouth
Crack/Craic----------> Fun/Plans... yes I was confused when asked me if I had any craic
Biscuit-----------------> Cookie
Poke-------------------> Ice Cream Cone
Bap--------------------> Bun/Roll
Soda-------------------> Soda Bread... not a drink!
Black Stuff-----------> Guinness
What about ye?------> How Are You?
Cheerio---------------> Good-Bye
Bangers & Mash----> Sausage and Mashed Potatoes

Oh and I forgot to mention... Weather: 1, Elaina & Umbrella: -1!!

2nd Day of owning this umbrella & the intense wind snapped all the wiring on my walk to my dorm

My Starbucks birthday latte & cupcake I treated myself to

3 comments:

  1. You need a really cute rain coat. Umbrellas are probably useless when you live on a big island. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I know, it was a desperate purchase, that turned out to be useless. I have a long black Columbia raincoat that I brought with me, I was just hoping for extra protection lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog! I still think that umbrella is hilarious. The wind has transformed it into a piece of art work. Hope you find your gold for the Super Bowl. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete