Monday, February 14, 2011

Classes, River, North Coast....

**As of last Tuesday I am finally enrolled in the 3 classes I need to take here at Queen's. I'm taking Anthropology of Modern Social Dance, Twentieth Century British Theatre, and Intro. to Film Studies 2. I'm hoping as the semester goes on that these classes will grow on me, especially the first 2 I mentioned. The descriptions they gave me online are pretty much the opposite of what these classes are about, so hopefully all will end well at the end of the semester. I only have class Monday-Wednesday, however that may sound very nice, the catch is that here you spend a lot less time in classes and a TON of time doing outside readings and research that you have to find/figure out on your own (definitely a change from academics in the States).

**Last Wednesday afternoon, my friend Sinead (from Philly, part of my IFSA program) and I went down to the Queen's Rowing team's recruit session at the boathouse. We were asked to join last week so we thought we'd go see what it was all about. After being introduced to the girls we went down to the storage barn and the 2 of us, 3 other recruits, and 2 current team members carried the boat out, flipped it over, walked it down into the Lagan river, attached the oars, got in, and pushed out into the water. Let me tell you this whole process is a lot harder and more challenging then it seems or appears!! We spent 2 hours out in the water in the rain learning different skills and practicing rowing. I was told that I looked like I'd rowed before and that it usually takes people a month to get to where I was currently. However, even with the compliments and pressure to join I'm still not sure if it's the right thing for me to do here. The girls were all super nice, I don't know if I love it enough to row down the river a couple times a week (2 early morning practices as well) I may try another practice this Wednesday, I just can't decide.

**This past weekend the 100 other American students studying in Ireland through IFSA Butler Univ. program were up here in Belfast for a Northern Ireland trip. We enjoyed dinner Thursday night together at their hotel and then left early Friday morning to ride up to the North Coast. Our first stop was the Carrick-a Rede rope bridge, a narrow rope bridge a couple yards long that goes between the mainland  and a small island, and hangs 80ft above cliffs and crashing water from the sea. It was a great experience, I was quite scared at first but as long as I didn't look down it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 2nd stop as the remains of the Dunluce Castle; it was really cool to walk around this place and take some interesting pictures. 3rd and final stop was the Giants Causeway; absolutely stunning!!!! Definitely a must see if you go to Northern Ireland. There are over 38,000 perfectly smooth and almost all hexagonal rock pillars piled all together along the water. You can walk over them and look out into the sea, it's completely breathtaking and pictures just don't do it justice. After a long day and lots of walking, I enjoyed the bus ride back listening to the P.S. I Love You soundtrack on my iPod (I found it quite fitting for the day).

**On Saturday we enjoyed a Black Taxi tour around Belfast learning about the "Troubles and Conflicts", and had the opportunity to sign the peace wall. After that a couple of us went to St. George's Market and enjoyed fresh food, music, and looked around the different booths. It was a gorgeous, sunny day (a rarity here) so we decided to take a boat tour of the Titanic harbor. Let's just say it was interesting haha, a little bit too long, and too slow for us, but we enjoyed the beautiful weather on the deck. Later that night we went to 2 old pubs in the city and listened to traditional Irish music, and enjoyed our time together before my Dublin friends headed back to their schools.... Overall it was great weekend!!

Beautiful coast

 Me on the rope bridge

Castle remains

 Giants Causeway




1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for you to be our tour guide!! Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete